Paint it white
This morning I finally got to see the projects for my new apartment. The architect working on it developed four different options. First shock of reality: I will not be able to keep most of those exquisite antiques that I love and are so terribly breakable. Come on, folks. I have three children.They are big now, it is true. But they tend to be rowdy at times. Also, some of the nice stuff is not very practical. The living room couch, in what we call English Style, is pretty, but truly uncomfortable if the idea is to lounge in front of the TV. I get to keep one showcase china closet in the living room, but not both, and one chest of drawers. The myriad of little side tables will have to be distributed around the house. My grandma 100 year old vanity, in her bedroom, will have to go. Otherwise, there would be no room for my double bed and the computer desk. I have to admit, between a vanity and a desk, the desk should win hands down with me.
The second shock of reality is the construction work that will be involved on those seemingly superficial changes. They are going to lower the ceiling so the cables of TV, phone and computer should run. There must be new furniture done specially for the living room TV, which will fit books and the sound system too. And what is most shocking. The architects want to remove the wooden framework from the doors and paint everything white. "To make the house lighter and younger", said the architect, who has those permanently made up eyebrows. Her suggestion is to paint even my closet white. My closet which is made of solid and perfectly extinct Brazilian wood, dark as a raven. Even the light fixtures, she said, would get more updated if I paint them white.
Now I want to ask of you guys. What is wrong with some signs of wear? Some light and shadows, some color and contrast? I don't know if I want a house that is so completely brand new, as if its story has been annulled. I also prefer people that show some signs of wear too. They are usually more interesting to me, and I would rather think that my own signs of wear are more interesting than plastic surgery, botox or any other invention created by doctors to postpone the unavoidable.
Well, I tried to control my musing during the meeting. The practical fact is that there will be construction and that it will take about a month, from Monday on. That is, if me and my mother manage to empty the house by then. Wish me luck.

1 Comments:
Good luck with emptying the house - I do like the sound of the white on the wood work too and it will make it brighter - it really can but if you still want to have some woodwork then you must make sure that your Architect knows this - it's your home and therefore your choice.
LOL at the computer taking the space from the vanity unit - I'm not really surprised to hear this ;-)
Post a Comment
<< Home