Sunday, February 20, 2005

Back to school

I started graduate school yesterday. I spent seven blessed hours listening to the latest analysis on the great crisis of the capitalism in 1873. Belle Epoque, Imperialism and the series of events that led to the First World War. Much to my own incredulity, I managed to keep my flighty concentration during most of the time. Seven hours without allowing my mind to wander freely is no mean task for me these days. Seven hours without trying vainly to fill unfillable blanks, seven hours without wondering what is going to come next.

I proudly showed my notebook to my kids today. They were terribly impressed not exactly with my organization, but with my ability to take notes. Well, I am not going to tell them, but that is what I do for living. I have become used to take notes as fast as someone can possibly speak. They were in awe. I hope I can become a source of inspiration for them. ;-) They need better organized notebooks this year. I realize that they are also impressed because I decided to go back to school. Maybe they will discover that learning is good. For me, the wish to learn is the motivation behind most of the things I do.

2 Comments:

At February 20, 2005 at 9:52 PM, Anonymous jody Capirchio said...

Congratulations Livia! First on going back for your grad degree and second for being an inspiration to your kids. And last but certainly not least, 7 hours?????? Oh my, you are a good woman :)

 
At February 28, 2005 at 7:28 AM, Anonymous Sam Byrne said...

Wow Livia - 7 hours is impressive and it's good to read that your kids are impressed too - I realise it takes a lot to impress kids these days LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home