Monday, April 18, 2005

Like a virgin

"A virgin! I can't believe that. I don't see one very often".


The emphatic declaration came from the mouth of a dermathologist. It was the first time I had been face to face with one of those specialists in skin care and anti-aging treatments. The appointment was a gift from my she boss, who believes firmly that I should be taking care of my skin before is too late. And I should be grateful, for this is one of those doctors who takes care of TV celebrities and socialites, and who happens to be also the kid sister of someone I used to work for a long time -- in short, someone I can feel comfortable of my ignorance about basic stuff. She started out of with the usual questions on my health and proceeded to ask me about my daily care routine.


"What do you use to clean your face?"


"Water and soap?"


Her eyes widened. "Wrong answer", I said to myself.


"What kind of sun block do you use daily?"


" Aren't we supposed to use it only when we go to the beach?", I asked back feigning innocence.


That was when she made the exclamation that opened this post, with a combination of amazement, glee and awe. It seems that sun block virgins are an almost extinct species these days, especially in the tropics. I went to the examination room feeling like some kind of exhotic bird. After looking at the devastated areas, she started brushing my face with some kind of powder that felt like sand. Next, she splashed something yellow and smelly all over it. "In three days, you will start to peel, like you have flour in your face. It is absolutely normal. So don't panic".


Once the procedures were over, she sat at the desk and announced that my virgin days were over.


"Please", I begged, "don't be too hard on me. I am not used to that".


She smiled sheepishly.


"Also, I am a just poor hard working mother of three. Give me the kind of prescription you would give to your patients at the charity ward, not the one you do to socialites".


She smiled again. She wasn't too rough. She managed to prescribe me just a soap, two lotions and a cream with sun block on its formula. I still spent much more than I would admit it as okay to spend on my face, but I have to confess that it is all so simple that it won't take me too much pain to do it every day. The girlish Livia is satisfied, almost as happy as when she got her tattoo and ear piercings, almost as happy as she was when she got made up before a May wedding last year.


And yes, today this girlish Livia's face is peeling, just as if there is flour on her face. 

2 Comments:

At April 23, 2005 at 9:38 PM, Anonymous jody Capirchio said...

I am glad the girlish Livia had a good time H&S!
Jody

 
At April 26, 2005 at 4:48 PM, Anonymous Carol Hasnosi said...

Oh how fun. I can't wait to see your "fresh" face in June.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home