Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Trap

It is amazing how I keeping sliding on the same kind of banana skins dropped on the floor. The trap I set to myself is simple. Though I can rationally perceive that people lie and say half truths, my wish to believe in those I care for is so great that I willingly let myself be fooled. When disappointment comes unavoidably, I can't really blame anyone. In fact one of the perverse aspects of this trap is that in fact I blame myself, because I should have known better. I am -- in normal conditions of temperature and pressure -- quite smart. I have a good instinct, and it has have served me very well in life. In fact, my instinct usually sets off the alarm as the trap is being laid. My deceptions are caused not because my intuition is faulty, but because I voluntarily ignore it. I want it to be proved wrong. I want to be able to believe in people. Not in any people, but in those I like. The world would be safer and easier to navigate if I could take their word. Unfortunately, most of the times things are not simple. This is one of the hardest lessons for me to master: to admit that I live in a world where deception is the rule and that being served with the truth will always be somewhat of a luxury. It is not that people I care for are bad, or mean to do any real harm. It is just that sometimes it is easier to say nice half truths and avoid possible conflicts. It is just human. I don't have the right to be disappointed with them for that. I have to learn and protect myself better.

1 Comments:

At August 18, 2004 at 5:43 AM, Blogger *cosmic freak* said...

sometimes, when we are trapped, we need to break free from it... but somehow we forgot, its we ourselves who have set up the trap....

maybe its just me...

but sometimes we have to be careful on what we wish for...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home