Sunday, August 15, 2004

Birthday wishes

Today I recovered my faith on the birthday fairy. I woke up to find that my storytelling friends had sent me a breakfast basket. There was a lovely card and violets, which are some of my very favorite flowers. In fact, in college, I had friends who called me African Violet, because I seemed to favor these so much. Violets are simple flowers, but they are also surprising. They have so many different hues that they can never be boring. Now my living room table looks like a garden with Dayna's flowers and the girls' violets. Thank you Ana M., Ana T., Flavia and Suely.

Though I was still with a big bad headache, I manage to gather strength to go out to lunch with the kids. We went to Outback. I was a bit nauseated with the food. I am still offcolor. We had the blooming onion and two steaks with fries and a jacket potato. By the end of the meal, I begged the kids to forget all about the brownie. They were disappointed because they wanted to see the waiter singing happy birthday to me, but I was obviously not a pretty sight. Later in the afternoon, we did the birthday chorus. My daughter, wanted it to be done by all means. So we put a candle in one of the little cakes that came in the breakfast basket. Belle wanted me to make a wish. I frowned. I don't think I am very good at that. I don't believe in wishing for big stuff, like world peace or the soccer championship for the Fluminense. I seek the simple day-to-day things. Like peace between people I love, and winning my day.

She insisted. Okay. I finally agreed, and blew my candle. Now I am not going to say that my wish came true. It would be too hasty to say that. But it looks as if it is not as impossible as it seemed then. Today I was surrounded by the people I love most. The world is warmer, and it feels good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home