Saturday, April 23, 2005

Concrete matters -- a construction update

Today I am determined to remain on the concrete side of existence. No random musings. No attempts of making fun of my daily attribulations with dermathologists endowed with an uncanny sense of humour or with philosophical wine specialists. When I mean concrete, I really mean concrete, and bricks, and paint. I intend to stick to the sole justifying reason for this journal and keep track of the progresses of my new home.


I visited the site yesterday. It was not half as bad as I expected it to look. The workers have managed to renew the electrical/telephone parts and built them all in. The next step, they told me is to lower the roof in the living room and corridor. They say that this will be done very quickly. Then it will come the tricky part: the painting. That is when the architect stepped in again to give me some suggestions. She suggested me to use a color denominated "serene white".


"It is not exactly white, but it is very light and clear. It will help everything look wider than it really is", she told me.


 I had been forewarned. "I bet she is going to have you paint the apartment in 'serene white'", my mother had said to me. "She adores this color".


Well, I agreed before I dared to ask her if there was another shade called "agitated white" or "revengeful peach" or even "jumpy salmon". My domains will be much smaller than they presently are. White should be good. In the living room. I want some color in my bedroom.


The architect frowned. "Well, it is good. You will have a new wall by the bed. It should be painted blue, so it goes with your bed spread".


Now, come on. Is it okay to choose a wall color because of the color of my bed spread? What if I change the bed spread? It is right that I have one blue right now. But I have another one which is shamelessly pink. If the architect had come to survey my bedroom on the days of the pink spread, would I be doomed to try to sleep with an electrical pink shade over my head? I like blue, but I just wanted something a little warmer in my bedroom. I didn't decide anything. I just told her that I would have to examine the colors personally to see what would be more adequate to my own personality.


She seemed satisfied with my response. I think I am learning the decoration lingo rather fast. ;-) 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home