White queen, black knight
Playing chess can be a fascinating experience. From all the games, this the one I don't mind indulging once in a while. Not that I am any good at it. But it certainly defies my imagination.I enjoy anticipating the next steps of my opponent, the estrategy developed to trap me on the wrong corner of the board and the actions involved to put my queen in check. The game for me is not a matter of winning. It is much more a matter of escaping the unavoidable defeat for the longest time possible. Victory, in my case, is a mere accident of a match, an unexpected twist of fate due more to the lack of ability of the other player than to any real talent of mine. It is true that many times I get exhasperated, especially when it seems impossible to me to predict new developments. Also, I recognize that it is ennerving when my opponent plays me in such a way that all that I can do is to move frantically and chaotically around the board, for I cannot find a single breach in the defenses. Once in a while, against all odds, I find a way to organize a well thought move, an obvious and clear action that leads me right to where I want to be. It is exhilarating. And when that happens, I don't really mind losing in the end. For it is playing the game that I love.

1 Comments:
I used to play chess, once. And I too, wasn't particularly good at it. I was (and still am) horrible at anticipating steps, and my own moves in the game tend to be without strategy. I imagine that I am a mad general, sending my troops into their doom, in the game of chess.
I like it all the same. Though it has been a while since I've played.
Post a Comment
<< Home