A finger cut
Imagine that you cut your finger accidentally with a knife. It is a small wound and a big bother. All of sudden, your attention and worries are concentrated on the hurt. You are constantly reminded of it, as you do your everyday tasks. Writing can become difficult, opening doors, combing and washing your hair, all the actions that you usually do thoughtlessly turn into moments when you have to avoid carefully to provoke more pain for yourself. It is not a serious wound, it is easily dressed and taken care of. But for a day or two, your life will go on around it, as if you had become your cut finger.
This week I realized that sometimes problems that look so big are nothing but finger cuts. I understood that conflicts that were upsetting me so much were simply a small scale version of the most painful issues I have to deal with. They were not the issues themselves. It is like a synopsis, a chapter, not a book. A miniature, not the lifesize model. Healing these finger cut problems consumed me a lot of time and energy. In a sense, it seemed that getting rid of them I would be solving the really big ones, and that everything would be fine and normal again. And it certainly felt good and liberating to do away with the discomfort. But I am not fooling myself. I have dealt with a simple, plain, finger cut. I was blessed by the opportunity to put things in perspective, and now I am trying to understand why such a triffling scratch brought so much pain to me, and learn with that.

4 Comments:
I'm glad you've seen things in a more clearer perspective, Madam.
I hate finger cuts, and I hate papercuts even worse...:)
And I believe that finger cuts are so painful because our fingertips are the most sensitive parts of our body. Apparently there's a concentration of nerves on the fingertips more than anywhere else in the human body.
Or so I am told...
Do you sometimes wonder why a small finger cut seems so painful compared to a major laceration or something. I used to ride the bike before and sometimes I fall and when I do it's pretty bad, but somehow it doesnt hurt as much as a finger cut.
One of the reasons could probably be the nerve thingy as said by Shahriman but other than that...is there any other factor??
What do you think??? Perhaps you've said it in your post but I didnt read it clearly because I am having the worst flu of all flu.
bibi, it is just like Shahriman says for actual finger cuts and metaphorical ones. There is the nervy thing. The tip of the finger is so sensitive that it seems to be much more painful than other wounds. When you are talking about the soul's finger cut, it is as if the small hurt becomes a smaller scaler representation of the big ones we carry. All the elements of our personal dramas are present in that one, the littlest of wounds, in such a way that we may mistakingly take it for the big one. When your finger cut heals, it is such a relief. When your soul's finger cut heals, it is also a relief. In a way, it may looks as if you have solved a big issue. Of course, this is not true. But the feeling is pretty good.
I agree, a finger cut is too much of a fuss. Even a scratch on my right hand would be a big obstacle for me to go through a single day.
And as for painful memories, there will always be some event triggering the pain at the spot.
I think the only way to do away with it is just to tell yourself that as painful as it is, it'll be okay tomorrow and you won't die over it.
Post a Comment
<< Home