Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Rain and Donald Duck

Guess what? Yes, you won. It it still raining and very cold in Rio. But I promise not to lose myself describing minutely the pitiable traffic situation, the flooded streets and landslides. More than concerned about the weather and its devastating effects, I am concerned about a friend.

I met this guy almost 20 years ago. He was married then to a friend of mine and had this beautiful baby daughter. Not long after she was born, they separated, and he changed jobs. He became my boss. Let's give him a nickname. What about Donald Duck? Donald Duck was a great guy, who liked jazz, fine food, drinks, women and word puns, not exactly on this order. As a boss, he was chaotic, disorganized, and often a nervous wreck. But I liked him. One year later, I left that company and went to work in a big news corporation. By coincidence, he came to work in the same place just a while later. There he really found himself. Donald Duck was doing what he knew best. He was a wonderful writer, a sweet co-worker, a fun person to be around. Ok. I didn't really appreciate the nicknames he made up for me, mostly making fun of my Italian ascendency, but he was still a good fellow.

I just learned today that, after 17 years, Donald Duck was fired. Cutbacks, they claimed. And I am worried beyond words about him. He is near 50 now. He loved his workplace, and being an easy going person, he felt completely at home there. I know that for a number of reasons he is capable of getting another job, maybe another one as good as that, because he is now a well known name in his area. What I don't really know is how long it will take for Donald Duck to get used to the idea that he was expendable. It hurts. It hurts a lot.

We didn't get hold of him today. We called and his maid said somewhat unconvincingly that he was out. We, the girls (his ex-trainees), just want him to know that we care. No matter how silly were the nicknames he stuck on us.



1 Comments:

At July 21, 2004 at 10:26 PM, Blogger ビビ said...

i know how that must suck...i was offered a VSS - voluntary service separation from my beloved MNC. i was hurt...and what was more painful was that the news was told to me by my mentor...the person i really looked up to in the Co..who happens to be the HR director at the same time. i didnt want the VSS to be in my resume so instead i tended my resignation letter..meaning i lose a handful of extra cash that might last me for a couple of months until i get a new job. i never really got over it and i still wallow in the fact that i was expendable in an org of that magnitude. i felt like a bug crushed by another large animal...i hope mr donald duck doesnt feel that bad...i hope he'll come around and get himself a new job...soon. all my best wishes to him...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home