Monday, July 19, 2004

Cats and dogs

My daughter called my office just before lunchtime. She was all excitement. Someone had offered her a gray baby poodle, a girl doggie. Therefore, she was on the phone begging my authorization to accept the gift. I hated to be the one to burst her bubble. She whined for a long time while I tried to explain to her that she and her brothers spend a lot of time away, that I travel, and that there is no way we can leave doggie alone for a long time. I also tried to reason that we already have a cat.
 


Pluft Posted by Hello

It's been almost a year since Pluft, the cat came to live with us. It was enough for me to discover that I was definitely a cat person, not a dog person. I like his independence, and the way he keeps me company without making a fuss over it. He sits on my window sill contemplating the pidgeons with the same interest I look at the computer screen. He comes and goes as he pleases. No extreme demands, just food, water, and some scratching on his cheeks. I know that he also appreciates me, though he demonstrates that in silence, rubbing his body against my legs every time I get home and curling up on my bed for a nap. He makes me believe in a quiet kind of love, that needs no words and no promises.



4 Comments:

At July 20, 2004 at 12:14 AM, Blogger ビビ said...

i used to have a cat. i named him after a malaysian rock star. i didnt realize how much i appreciate that furball until he died recently. to my surprise, i felt really bad. he was the only cat who has ever responded to me calling its name..i wasnt making cat sounds or anything..but i called his name!!!

 
At July 20, 2004 at 5:17 AM, Blogger ビビ said...

btw...u've seen us...that's me...a by product of a pakistani mom and a javanese father. ammar's half-chinese. both of us are pretty tall...sarah's a midget...but she's a pretty girl...!!!

 
At July 20, 2004 at 10:21 AM, Blogger Livia de Almeida said...

bibi, I really loved that picture. The way the three of you were smiling is priceless. I showed the picture to my best friend in the newsroom, who is working on a special about decoration, and she wanted all the pieces of furniture in Sarah K's living room. ;-)

 
At July 20, 2004 at 11:03 AM, Blogger ビビ said...

at first i didnt really like the pic but after looking at it a couple of times..i kinda like it. it's sweet. and yes...sarah has a very nice place. u havent seen her kitchen...it's got this pretty island counter that ammar really really likes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home