Friday
The evening has been wrapped in silence, which I badly needed. There is so much going on in my head that today keeping up with the superficial conversation of co-workers during lunch break was almost impossible. I haven't been trying to be Miss Sympathy for a while, and I am sure some ressent that. I spent the day craving to be alone in my room.
I have come to realize that this is a diary of non-facts. I still have a difficult time being simple and direct. I still have a hard time even writing in my own language. I know this is a crooked way of hiding and disguising my story. The truth is that English seems to me so economical, and as it is not my mother tongue, its words are less infused with feelings and hidden meanings. I have been enjoying playing with them here, as if I were opening a toy to learn how it works.

4 Comments:
dont worry missus (imagine me talking with a southern brawl)...we all like to write in english though i'm fluent in other languages as well i.e. spanish, hindi (india's national language) and of course my mother tongue - malay.
perhaps it's an idiosyncratic factor..i grew up in the States. i was exposed to the american education system and also english literature. plus, in malaysia esp in kuala lumpur (KL) u can survive without having to speak malay. it's filled with english speaking people, therefore, i'm surrounded by english speaking people. plus, i'm a writer/translator by profession and my specialization happens to be english. so it makes sense to write in english, aint it???
P/S: but if i wanna be romantic with my bf...i'll write something in spanish!!!:)
We are not very bilingual here in Rio de Janeiro. The fact is that for the last few years my dearest friends are mostly English speaking, and that I have been writing in English as I had never done in my life. Call it a miracle of the internet. ;-) My little gang has members on the US, Canada, England and Holland. I talk to some more often than I talk to people who live blocks away from me. So English became to me the language of friendship.
This is also a wonderful blog.
English isn't my mother tongue, too. But you're right: it is rather economical language. Unlike Bibi, I've never been outside Malaysia, but somehow ever since I was a child I've been around English speaking people, exposed to English speaking media.
It's surprisingly easy to be comfortable with the English language, and as you have said: it is the language of friendship.
well, true enough its a language of friendship...
and true enough it is economical...
its all in our willing I guess...
and I really want to learn spanish becos its a beautiful language, aside from french...
my mother tongue is malay, but I know english, a bit of arabic, a bit of chinese mandarin, and a bit of hindi (thru watching movies obviously)...
Post a Comment
<< Home