The taste of magic
I hate packing. I hate to find the hotel bill under my door. I hate to inspect drawers and closets after stranded items. But I have to admit that this time the process went rather painlessly. Partly because I had done a good job getting started at the top of the heat of Saturday afternoon. Partly because Dayna had managed to get a late, late, late check out at 4 pm, and I could store my luggage in her room and enjoy a full day of fun in the Florida sun. Everything ran so smoothly that we were all in front of the gates of the Magic Kingdom before opening. When the park opened, we managed to find Frank among the throng. Lisa was in full commando mood. She was a woman with a mission and it all started with riding Peter Pan and then Space Mountain. After that, we could all relax on a double ride aboard the Tomorrowland Transit Authority, enjoying the shade and the breeze. We discovered that Lisa had never ridden Carroussel of Progress and we decided to fill this blank. What can be more relaxing that sitting in a air conditioned room singing "There is a great big tomorrow at the end of every day"? I think I could write my final essay on that ride only.
The crowds were not at all that bad. I wandered around the park doing what I like best, which is people watching and reflecting. Observing shoeware can be a fascinating game (I learned that with Barb). You see people with impossible heels -- oh the price of vanity -- slippery flip flops and all kinds of shoes that seem to be too heavy, too uncomfortable or too hot for the Florida summer. There are also the ones that make me wonder. Enclosed sandals are a mistery to me. Why hide the toes if the whole point is to be cooler? Okay, I come from the land where we are very liberal when it comes to undressing for summer. In some cases, I admit, hiding the toes spares us the visions of untended callouses and nails. Ick. But it is still a contradiction. I imagine this almost as a vicious circle. Imagine someone steps on your toes some time. To avoid that terrible action to repeat itself, you protect yourself with enclosed sandals. As time goes by, and sneakers seem too heavy, you consider in the back of your mind the possibility wearing sandals again. You look at your own feet and they don't seem to be nice anymore. Then you decide that your toes have been too hidden too long, and that they don't seem fit to see the light of the day. The result of that? You stick to enclosed shoes. And there is always the risk of getting stepped on again, a risk that becomes ever greater in your mind, though being stepped on once doesn't mean necessarily being stepped on always; I think we all tend to act like these in relation to many things in life, and each one of us know exactly where and why it hurts.
Yes, I digress. I should be telling about Haunted Mansion, Dole whips (is there anything that tastes more like vacation than a pineapple float enjoyed by the shade of a tree near the Robinsons?), my shopping spree. I had a wonderfully fun day with my friends. In fact, it was particularly wonderful because of my friends. As we got in and out the buildings, it didn't feel quite as hot as Saturday at the Animal Kingdom. But this is something that is worth another entry

1 Comments:
This was a very nice day even with Commando Lisa along. I wish Disney hotels could offer late checkout like this, but I completely understand why they can't. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home