Slow day with Anne Bancroft
This was not a particularly remarkable day to get into my biography. In the morning, I showed my apartment to a friend who is interested in renting it. She seemed happy with the offering, but she told me she would be talking to her husband about it before closing the deal. I am keeping my fingers crossed here. Then I got to work and had an unexpected phone call from the father of my kids. Amazing, I thought. Then we started talking about History, movies, books, readings, and I had to say to myself, "Hey, this is a phone call from a ghost. It is not real". I asked him about the kids' support, he promised to try to update it. Wonders never cease.
I kept on doing small work stuff, nothing particularly fascinating. (I warned you that this was not a very remarkable day at all). I felt impatient to leave work. There is so much that I can do at home, useful things like packing, reading the boards, writing my journal. I started reading the news. I was sorry to see that Anne Bancroft died at 73. I saw a photo gallery, and all of sudden I realized that she was only 35 when she played Mrs. Robinson in "The Graduate". Oh my. The provocative older woman, the mother of Katherine Ross in the picture, was younger than I am. Isn't that a chilling thought? No, I am not depressed about age matters right now. I just thought that ladies these days look younger. Maybe that is why some fashion magazines proclaim that the 40s are the new 30s. I couldn't possibly imagine a Mrs. Robison played by a 35 year old actress, as I can't imagine myself as the mother of Katherine Ross.
The highpoint of my day was the delivery of a heart-shaped brownie in celebration of the Sweethearts day, this Sunday. No, there was nothing very exciting hidden in that information. I got that from a bakery. It was really good, and dutifully shared with a batallion of co-workers. Maybe I should not be complaining of a lackluster day. Maybe days seem lackluster when more thrilling things seem to be right in the corner. In two days, I will be boarding a plane and then I will not be complaining at all.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home