The Jedi on Main Street
Dayna and I got to the Magic Kingdom gates long before the park was opened, with enough time for posing for pictures and getting a photo pass. I could barely keep my excitement to myself. Nothing compares to a first stroll on Main Street, listening to those old fashioned tunes. The castle looked beautiful with the golden trimmings and the magic mirror, which switched its image showing all the castles around the world. That was something I missed that first time, but that Bob pointed to me later. It was a cloudy day, and it still looked like rain, so I think this kept a part of the crowd away from the big outdoors. In two hours, we managed to accomplish a lot. I rode Buzz, Pooh, Peter Pan, It's a Small World, Haunted Mansion. As I wandered around Fantasyland, I could only think "Yes, I am really here!". I love the parks. I love people watching at the parks. I love to look at the smiling faces of kids, strike conversations with cast members. It is truly a happy place.
Around 11 am, Frank called Dayna and invited us to meet him, Corinne and Dan at the movies. Bob also called us. Dayna decided to go with Bob to Epcot, while I was seduced by the Jedi movie. I hadn't seen Episode 3 yet, and watching it in a digital screen sounded tempting. Dayna and I enjoyed a yummy pineapple float before hitting the road. I met the Wilderness Lodge crowd by chance, at the gates of Epcot and we went pretty early to Downtown Disney. We were anticipating a full theater and we wanted to get good seats. We killed some time around Virgin Megastore, a place of endless interest and surprises for a Botswanan native. So much to see, so little to spend.
We managed to get very good seats and I was absorbed by the movie. Time went by incredibly fast while I followed Anakin's doomed efforts to save his beloved Padme. When it was over, I clapped, while Frank grumbled. "I told you the movie was good". He had been watching it for the fourth time, doubtlessly a true hardcore fan.
After the movie, we met Dayna and Bob and went to dinner at Wolfgang Puck's. In the meanwhile, the skies opened. It was pouring. I split some sushi with Dayna, and though it is usually very yummy, the spicy tuna roll had a funny texture, very jello like. We didn't really feel like eating it, so Dayna returned it. All of sudden, there comes the chef along with a manager to ask what the problem was and started to explain that they took the tuna, cut the better parts off to make different dishes, and then they made the roll with the meat they scraped off the sinews. Ick. I don't think I liked that explanation. It basically meant that they used the rest of tuna for the rolls. We tried to kill some time with dessert, since it was still raining. We watched with amazement a long line of people forming behind the restaurant. They were waiting for a show in House of Blues. After we left, we discovered that this was going to be a Pat Benatar show. Goodness, the "Love is a Battlefield" singer is having a revival in the US, I thought. It was still raining, and fresher, and I went back to the hotel thinking that life is good, and that there would be nothing I would need to ask to improve such a fun day.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home