Books and Domino's
We hit Magic Kingdom as soon as it opened for early entry. Differently than Sunday, it looked packed from the start. Dayna, Lisa and I did slow progresses from Futureland to Fantasyland, though the waits where still not that bad. Around 10 am, we went to Peco's Bill to cool down, take a drink and rest, and Lisa seemed unusually quiet. To make things worse, Dayna's cooling fan broke. Lisa was not feeling that well, so we decided to go back to the resort, looking for a fan on the walk back.Dayna did a wonderful job at keeping a brave face -- it was really hot and muggy. As it is, the Magic Kingdom is not the best place to look for a personal fan. We finally found a cart on Main Street, near the hub.
We left Lisa resting and went to Barnes and Noble. I had been there the day before with Frank, but as things were, I had forgotten my book "The Historian", in his car. I needed something to read badly. Browsing the shelves is a delightful kind of torture. I finally found"Shutter Island", a book by Dennis Lehane, who has become one of my favorite mystery authors. It is a dark, dark tale of two US marshalls, in the 50s, who go to a high security mental institution to investigate the mysterious disappearence of one of the patients. They get isolated from the world by a hurricane and nothing is really what it seems. It is a very absorbing read, and so dark that I ended up having nightmares. Dayna and I had lunch at Steak and Shake, and she provoked Pinky, back in Oklahoma, sending him a message about it. His answer was short and sweet. And also unpublishable. ;-)
We all went to the pool while trying to decide if we would keep or not our plans of dining at the Brown Derby. In the meanwhile we were having fun with Dayna swimming and bringing us news of the participants of a Domino's pizza convention. There were 4500 Dominos around from all over the world. There were even three from Brazil. I met two at the line at Tubbi's the day before. And the third one, I know for over 10 years. I think that certain diser might be right after all and this is a small world. The Dominos were in general a rowdy bunch. One morning, I found a pair of man's white leather shoes by the elevator at the tenth floor. Lisa and Dayna reported a chocolate incident in the elevator. That night, while they were having a big party at the Swan garden, I found panty hose around the bar area. As they came back from the party, they all spotted bright yellow souvenir t-shirts which read "Fast and Nice". I think that might be appropriate. I have to say that while the hotel was completely booked, when I reached my room I had complete peace and quiet, and never the feeling that there was so much partying happening around.
Dayna and I ended up meeting Bob at the hotel and dining at the Brown Derby in an afternoon that smelled like rain. It cooled down, and dinner was quiet and very nice. The grouper was excellent, very fresh indeed. For dessert, I had their creme brulee. But the best part was the usual chatting and playing among friends. As I retreated to my room, I saw fireworks coming from MGM. A fitting closing for a nice day.

1 Comments:
If I hadn't found that cart on Main Street, I may have opened a can of "Whoop-Ass" on someone. You would have seen me on CNN. LOLOLOL. "OKIE GOES INSANE FROM HEAT IN THE MAGIC KINGDOM!"
Post a Comment
<< Home