The movies of my life
I am terrible at ranking things. So it would be awfully hard for me to do a list of my ten favorite movies of all times. Instead, I am posting movies that were important to me for some reason.
1) Singing in the Rain. I saw this on a re-release in the early seventies. This was the movie that triggered my love of movies. I was probably 12 or 13, and had never seen something quite like that. In those video-less days, I felt an urge to see it again and again. I lost count after eight times. That was when I started going to the theater by myself. No one else in the family could bear watching it again.
2) The Wizard of Oz. I was little. One weekend, my father decided to take me and my sister to the drive in to see that. When the movie started, I protested! Black and white? Subtitles? (I was around three, and read a bit slowly). When Dorothy got to Oz, I was absolutely entranced with the brightness of the colors. Why does she want to go back to Kansas? This is the question that sticks to my mind.
3) Stagecoach. Another movie that my father thought I just HAD to see. I was a teen and already in love with movies. But I had a prejudice against westerns. He took me to the Modern Art Museum to see it. Wow! It was so much fun. After that, I started watching and enjoying westerns very much. Me and my father still don't agree about westerns though. He swears by Shane and Johnny Guitar. I prefer The Searchers and Red River. Yes. I like John Wayne.
4) Hair. I was already in college. I saw that many, many times too, always with my best friends in the world: Helion, Jose and Luiz (who would the father of my kids). Those were the days that I had long hair, wore flowery Indian tops, strap sandals. Well, you get the picture, right? These special friends went with me to the movies at least once a week for years and years. Sometimes we would do all night marathons.
5) We who loved each other so much. This is an Italian movie by Ettore Scola about a group of friends over the years. It is a bittersweet tale. It became more bittersweet for me over time. Nowadays, I can understand it much more. I saw it with those special friends. Now I wouldn't be able to do it again. Helion lives in Italy, Joe died.
6) The Seven Samurais. My second taste of Kurosawa. And it was also so much fun! The first taste was Dersu Usala, a wonderful, wonderful movie too, which I saw at 11 with my dad.
7) Rear Window. I just love Hitchcock movies. Love them! This is my favorite, along with North by Northwestern, maybe bc they are with James Stewart and Cary Grant, two actors that I think are way cool.
8) Beauty and the Beast. This was the animation that made me love Disney animation again. I had not seen The Little Mermaid at its release. Today, I think this is one of the most romantic movies ever. A story about the tragedy which is wasting one's potential and how wonderful it is when this potential (to learn, to love, to do whatever you know how to do best) is fulfilled
9) Casablanca. Bogart. Enough said.
10) Big Fish. A movie about what storytelling is all about. I have never cried so much in a public place, but at least I wasn't the only one to do so. I am afraid to see it again. It is just so beautiful, and it says so much to me.
I could go on and on with The Return of the Jedi, which I saw the premiere in a theater in London, with Darth Vader in the audience. Or Raiders of the Lost Ark, which had me clapping at the end. And the silent comedy matinees I used to go with my grandfather on the weekends (he was hearing impaired, so silent movies were his favorites). Or to Kill a Mockingbird, which made me think much better of Gregory Peck. And The Godfather! I love the Godfather, and only saw a few years ago. And Jonas who will be 25 in 2000 (an amazing Swiss movie). And The Pirate, with my dear Judy Garland. If you wish, feel free to post here which movies meant a lot to you too.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home