Mistake number one
I am letting Luiz, my eldest, help me boxing our stuff. I have been teaching him how to separate books and folders, and take only a superficial look at them. "Browsing is mistake number one, son", I explained. The temptation to examine the past and lose yourself in it is too big. If we fall, we lose too much time and the process will never end.
I am the queen of theory, but I am the pits when it comes to work in the concrete. I found a shelf with boxes. Joana, my former maid, organized my stuff in gift boxes. I found one of these with tons of photos, images that I had forgotten were there. In one album, there were pictures of baby Belle taking a bath, then toddler Belle, and my little girl Belle in WDW. How could I have forgotten these? I need a scanner. That was all I could think. The last few years of digital folly made me forget ages of paper memories. In another box, I discovered the remains of my trips around the world. Joana kept even the stub of a ticket to travel from Zurich to Barcelona, back in 1983. I can't afford to look at these, I thought to myself. Looking back is definitely mistake number one.
We have sucessfully filled five boxes today. Most of them carry stuff that belongs to the father of my kids. I am going to send the driver with the boxes to my ex-mother in law with the "gifts". I believe I am being quite reasonable. After almost six years, other women would simply dump those folders and scrapbooks in the garbage, along with the gifts of past valentines. I don't have much time now. The truck will come for my furniture on the morning of 7/15. When this happens, the little stuff that cramp my drawers should have been safely delivered somewhere. It is exciting. It is scary. It is almost here.

1 Comments:
Livia, I am so bad about doing this same thing. When I start to organize an area, I get so sidetracked by reminiscing that I don't get much accomplished. I think you are being very reasonable about your ex's stuff. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home