Tuesday, May 24, 2005

You only live twice

We all have two lives. One is the life we live. The other is the life we dream. (That is what I thought when the Moon and Jupiter met, but I got too carried away to explain). One is the life we endure: wake up at the same time every day, have a cup of coffee to chase the sleep away, leave early to avoid the traffic, sit at the computer, read the news and the e-mails, work, work, work. A jest here, a bad word there. Go back home and do the same thing you did the day before till it is time to go to bad and start it all over again.


But then there is the life we dream. Like when Sofia and I buy our weekly ticket of the lottery. (What would I do with the 11 million dollar prize?). She would travel all around the world with her kids. I would like to give a part of the prize to each of my co-workers and see what happened. Who needs 11 million dollars to live? I'd take my kids for each country to study geography and history. And I would have one apartment just for my library.


You don't have to get a lottery ticket to dream, though I believe firmly that the dream is what you buy when you pay for that. Some daydream and imagine situations, the right word to say at the right moment. How this and that will unfold? What is going to happen when I get old and retire? Some use words and write the life they dream. It might be a bit scary, it might be a bit thrilling, it might be sad and it might be funny too. One can be a hero or a coward, meet a woman of mystery or a handsome stranger, explore castles and mountains. You can borrow and read your dreams or watch them in the movies. (Who hasn't crossed the sky in pod racers or dreamed of becoming a Jedi? Or carrying a ring to the Cracks of Doom or meeting the Amazon women of the moon?).


And sometimes we dream of what might have been. What if I had not gone to bed early that day? What if I had answered that telephone call? What if I could have said what I think and showed my true feelings? (Would I be obscenely happy or helplessly doomed?). And remembering is also a dream. It is being with distant friends, long gone loved ones, a dear pet, someone we will never forget.


Two lives to live. We'd better take care of what we do with both. We should ask for the moon, but we also have to try to build a spaceship, even if it is just to discover that we lack the technology.   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home