Saturday, August 07, 2004

The Sound of Silence

Sinus kept me home all day. Treacherous cold, this one is. With little energy to do much, I dedicated myself to exploring the funky features of my new computer, untill I decided, out of total idleness, to play with the new version of my Yahoo Messenger. It was almost by chance that I stumbled into the radio stations. Yes, I am really outdated. All I can say in my defense is that broadband is something relatively new in my life. Having an operational computer and workable connection to the internet, even more so.

I totally flipped out when I hit the rock station and the first tune I got was Aqualung, with Jethro Tull. And I did not give myself rest till I started my own station. Let's say, my own very eccletic station: A little bit of Rolling Stones, David Bowie, The Who, gentle sprinkles of Smiths, The Cure, Joy Division, Billy Idol, touches of R.E.M, Radiohead, White Stripes, Nirvana. I spent the day in heaven listening to Mick proclaim that "Time is on My Side" and that "It is only rock and roll". I let my mind get filled with guitar riffs and drums, and void of any other kind of thoughts.

Now it is getting late here. And all of sudden, I started feeling that something was missing. Something that I found hard to say what it was. It took me a while to realize that now I was badly in need of my own musings again.

I longed for silence.

2 Comments:

At August 8, 2004 at 2:58 PM, Blogger *cosmic freak* said...

sometimes a long silence would just cure anything...
a nights, I can write whatever I want and not turn on the radio and its already good enough for me...

you have excellent taste is music madame...

and I also have a tonsil right about now... damn its killing me... still need to go to the dentist tomorrow...

 
At August 8, 2004 at 10:01 PM, Blogger Livia de Almeida said...

Abby, I hope you get better soon. Being sick sucks. I feel that the best thing for me would be to spend a few days home, resting, but unfortunately, work is in a particular delicate moment, and I can't be off. Good luck with your dentist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home