Saturday Night Live
The soundtrack is the usual: loud music in someone's birthday party along with excited screams. My drunk neighbor from upstairs mumbles curses and makes a discourse against the estabilished powers. A dog barks. Crickets sing. The little boy two stories up whines and his mom tries to talk him into going to bed. The old lady who lives downstairs plays Beethoven on the piano. (I like to listen to her even when she makes mistakes and has to repeat the hard parts. It is the living proof that this is a human being playing, not the music from some machine. God bless her). Besides that, all is silent.
I remember my first night in this apartment, almost exactly 10 years ago. I slept on a matress in this same room. I'd better say, I tried to sleep. The silence here was so loud that it kept me awake for long. No traffic roar, like in my other apartment, no garbage collecting truck roaming in the middle of the night. Just crickets. I had never noticed before that crickets could make such a racket.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home