Sunday, May 15, 2005

Antisocial me

If anyone had the chance to read about the party, you know that I had a good time. Being among a crowd in a graceful environment is not what I do best, I recognize. It would be easier for me if people would acknowledge a few simple guidelines.


1) In a group, I tend to speak little and smile a lot. It doesn't mean I am dumb or that I agree with every absurd I hear.


2) It is not because I am a journalist that I have this incontrollable yearning to dig into the darkest corners of people's lives. There are those who treat me beforehand like a potential trespasser. I am not. I do prize privacy, mine and others. These, to me, are as bad as those who try to "sell" me story ideas while I am busy enjoying myself, and pretend to be my oldest, bestest friends.


3) But because I am a journalist, I never make purposefully a question when I know beforehand that the person questioned doesn't have the answer or is not sure about it.


4) Don't ignore me, but don't put me on the spot either. This is a golden rule. Being on the spot brings the worst in me, either I run or I attack.


5) Because I am quiet, I realize that people sometimes fill in mental blanks about me. That is fine. It just bothers me when these people start assuming what I think, imagining that I have high expectations of them just because I seem to like them. I have no claims over any living creature in this world, not even my children. I don't take their affection for granted or consider that they owe me anything because I love them so much. In other words, if I give you something, it doesn't mean that I am demanding anything back.


6) I distrust with all my forces people that I barely know and that discur minutely over my writing talent, my intelligence, my wit. Flatter me, but again don't think I am dumb.


7) I like to dance to rock music, Brazilian music, disco. I feel like strangling anyone who says "oh, Livia is letting herself go tonight" or the likes, since I do that as often as I can. I hate that almost as much as those who try to force me to do slow dancing.


8) I feel constrained in environments that demand very strict rules of etiquette, or dealing with people that have too many personal rules. Stepping on eggshells is not my idea of fun.


I guess I won't ever be a candidate for social queen.


  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home