Hope
I was about to go to bed when I found hope sitting on my window pane. It was not a moment of revelation, as you might be thinking. Here we call hope that frail little insect that looks exactly like a leaf. I believe this is a rare encounter, for I had never found hope in my home before. And I am not being particularly creative by relating this unusual meet, for Clarice Lispector, one of the foremost Brazilian writers, wrote about hope, the insect, in a beautiful chronicle that I would never dare to mimick. But hope is nevertheless sitting on my window pane tonight.
At first I could not recognize it. I thought it was just a leaf lying there. Then I realized it was truly hope and I didn't know exactly how to act. It is kinda pretty and colorful, still it is an insect and I am not exactly a bug lover. I am afraid it will jump in and it will force me to turn everything upside down either to escape it or send it away. But it is hope, and we should never crush it or frighten it away even in its most invertebrate shape.
I can observe it here, from my keyboard. It is a quiet creature. It doesn't buzz or make any weird cricketing sounds. It is pretty small too, barely the size of my thumb. It would be easy to forget it is there. But how can anyone ignore it? It is a new experience for me, to acknowledge and share my room with the tiniest, greenest, clumsiest shard of hope that ever graced this world.
*********************************
On wednesday, 11th, my son Luiz turns 15, something both scary and exciting.

3 Comments:
I am glad you found hope honey, in any form XOXO
Livia, this brought tears to my eyes. I believe it these signs, too. I'm very glad you found some solace in this silent sign. {{hug}}
Congratulations to Luiz! Trust me when I say that our sons only get better with age.
You know what? I just woke up and I found hope still there. What a stubborn little creature hope is.
Post a Comment
<< Home